Image Map

Friday, October 14, 2011

Time to get your baking skills on...


{Bake-me-Happy Friday}

Pumpkin Pecan Scones

I just can't help myself. With the pumpkins, I mean. I'm totally addicted!  So addicted in fact that I decided to whip up a bit of fall deliciousness for you. And, you know what? I'm not gonna feel guilty about it. Nope! In fact, I’ll probably do it again next week. I just get all happy and giddy when it comes to pumpkins and decorating and the excitement of Halloween. It's just a fun time. It flat out makes me happy! October is the greatest month of the year (don't even try to argue with me on this point), and I feel obliged to celebrate it as I please. So, bring on the pumpkin, and let's commemorate the season!

Everyone in my household (to include neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc.) knows how much I love pumpkins!  Not only do I love to decorate with them, I love to cook with them!  Pretty much everything tastes better (in my opinion) with a little pumpkin added to it J  And, they are filled with antioxidants so they are even good for you – BONUS!   

I had just enough of a can of pumpkin puree leftover from all my yummy morning Pumpkin Pie Protein Shakes (I’ll share that recipe with you later) to make these mouthwatering, oh so scrumptious, can I have another PLEASE, Pumpkin Pecan Scones. 

Behold your eyes on these beauties…drum roll please….


Now that’s what I’m talkin about!  Oh yea bay-bee!  That’s a plate full of Fall right there for you!

So how'd I do it you ask?  Well lemme just tell you.  I started this out by toasting up some pecans.  You don’t have to toast them if you don’t want…I feel that toasting brings out the richness of the pecan and adds depth to the flavor.
Then I added all the dry ingredients into a bowl and cut the butter in.  Once you have finished this, your mixture should look something like dry crumbs like so...
After I combined all the "wet" ingredients, I poured them into the crumb mixture.

Sorry for the shadow...I was losing my sunshine quickly.  After pouring the "wet" goop into the dry crumbs combine until just moistened...then add the toasted (or not toasted) pecans.  Once that is done turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  It should look something like this.
Then I patted it all into an 8 –inchish circle. 
And brushed on a little egg whites to help the tops get nice and golden brown like so…




Popped 'em in the oven for 12 minutes and…TA DA!  Right out of the oven and OH SO YUMMY! 
Now go grab your apron and get your baking on!

Pumpkin Pecan Scones
Adapted from Taste of Home

Servings – 8 wonderful scones

Ingredients:

2 -1/4 cups white wheat flour
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 -1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cold butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
3 T chopped TOASTED pecans

Preheat the oven to 400 deg. F.   

In a large bowl coming the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda.  Cut butter in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl whisk the egg, pumpkin, vanilla and milk.  Add this to the crumb mixture until just moistened.  Stir in your toasted pecans.

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.  Pat into an 8-in circle.  Cut into eight wedges; separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake at 400 deg. F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm with your favorite cup of tea or coffee.





The Shabby Nest
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating








xoxo Angi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...