Image Map

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Decking the Halls - Part 2

The Tree in the Window


I didn't have a plan this year when it came to decorating for Christmas as I always have in years past.  Usually I have sketches drawn up months in advance on how I want to decorate the mantel and what I envision the entry way to look like...what colors I see in these spaces.  This typically involves creating a budget specifically for Christmas Decorations.  Who does that?  Please tell me I am not alone here.  My Christmas Fund is set up months...sometimes as much as 7 months in advance!  GHAH!  Who thinks of Christmas in June besides me?  Seriously people...its an illness.

This year has been different.  Much due to circumstances that are beyond our control...and some due to the desire to show our children that Christmas is so much more than the decorations and presents under the tree.  Christmas is about family and "giving" of oneself to others.  This year our motto for the season is "simplistic".  Our decorations are simple and meaningful...used from what we had on hand.  If I had a space that needed a little "something" I either made it ... or robbed it from my moms house!  YEA, thats right!  You gotta use all the resources you have people!

After I tackled the wine bar I set my sights on the kitchen.  It is the "hub" of our home.  Lots of conversations and laughter are had in this room so it needed to come alive with the spirit of the season...but in and understated kind of way.

It started with the tree on the window seal.


I had that cute little metal star in my wine bar on the neck of a bottle and thought it would make the perfect star for the tree...SNAG!  Then I remembered an old bucket that I used to hold wash cloths in under my kitchen sink...SCORE!  And thus the Christmas tree was born.  I love how it turned out don't you?

Then it was time to dress up the shelf a bit...


The mason jars were already there so I filled them with some mini ornaments that I had from last year.  The wooden trees are from a treasure hunt at my mom's house!  Thanks mom!  The stocking hanging from the hook was a homemade gift from my mom for Mr. AKM and my 1st Christmas together.  I love that it works in this space :)

And in the end...this is what we had to greet us for breakfast in the morning....


A Christmas ball of "Joy"!  So tell me what your motto for the season is!  Are you going all out or reigning it in this time around?

Linking up to the following parties...

7 comments:

  1. I love the bucket and all the other Christmas decor. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree in the bucket. A simple, country Christmas at our place:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely decorating on a very, slim budget! I love your tree in a bucket and your large, JOY ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your tree in the bucket. I wanted a potted Christmas tree this year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tree in the bucket, so cute. The table looks so festive with the oraments hanging overhead. I just found your blog from the WOW linky party and am your newest follwer. Hope you will visit my give away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cute, and creative. I love it. I also love that window show with the snow falling.. so pretty. Thanks for Linking. winks, jen

    ReplyDelete

Love notes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...